This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Fiber Connectors”.
1. What is the use of an index-matching material in the connector between the two jointed fibers?
a) To decrease the light transmission through the connection
b) To increase the light transmission through the connection
c) To induce losses in the fiber
d) To make a fiber dispersive
2. How many categories of fiber connectors exist?
3. Demountable fiber connectors are more difficult to achieve than optical fiber splices.
4. The basic ferrule connector is also called as _____________
a) Groove connector
b) Beam connector
c) Multimode connector
d) Concentric sleeve connector
5. The concentricity errors between the fiber core and the outside diameter of the jeweled ferrule are in the range of ___________ with multimode step-index fibers.
a) 1 to 3μm
b) 2 to 6μm
c) 7 to 10μm
d) 12 to 20μm
6. Bi-conical ferrule connectors are less advantageous than cylindrical ferrule connectors.
7. What is the use of watch jewel in cylindrical ferrule connector?
a) To obtain the diameter and tolerance requirements of the ferrule
b) For polishing purposes
c) Cleaving the fiber
d) To disperse a fiber
8. The typical average losses for multimode graded index fiber and single mode fiber with the precision ceramic ferrule connector are _____________ respectively.
a) 0.3 and 0.5 dB
b) 0.2 and 0.3 dB
c) 0.1 and 0.2 dB
d) 0.4 and 0.7 dB
9. In connectors, the fiber ends are separated by some gap. This gap ranges from ____________
a) 0.040 to 0.045 mm
b) 0.025 to 0.10 mm
c) 0.12 to 0.16 mm
d) 0.030 to 0.2mm