This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Optical Isolators and Circulators”.
1. It is a passive device which allows the flow of optical signal power in only one direction and preventing reflections in the backward direction.
a) Fiber slice
b) Optical fiber connector
c) Optical isolator
d) Optical coupler
2. Which feature of an optical isolator makes it attractive to use with optical amplifier?
a) Low loss
b) Wavelength blocking
c) Low refractive index
3. An FBG is developed within a fiber core having a refractive index of 1.30. Find the grating period for it to reflect an optical signal with a wavelength of 1.33μm.
a) 0.51 μm
b) 0.58 μm
c) 0.61 μm
d) 0.49 μm
4. Magneto-optic devices can be used to function as isolators.
5. A device which is made of isolators and follows a closed loop path is called as a ____________
6. A combination of a FBG and optical isolators can be used to produce non-blocking optical wavelength division add/draw multiplexers.
7. How many implementation methods are available for optical isolators?
8. The commercially available circulators exhibit insertion losses around ________________
a) 2 dB
b) 0.7 dB
c) 0.2 dB
d) 1 dB