This set of Optical Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Cable Design”.
1. The cable must be designed such that the strain on the fiber in the cable does not exceed __________
2. How many categories exists in case of cable design?
3. How many types of buffer jackets are used in fiber buffering?
4. Loose tube buffer jackets exhibits a low resistance to movement of the fiber.
5. An inclusion of one or more structural members in an optical fiber so as to serve as a cable core foundation around which the buffer fibers may be wrapped is called _____________
6. Which of the following is not a strength member used in optical cable?
a) Steel wire
c) Aramid yarns
d) Glass elements
7. When the stranding approach consists of individual elements (e.g. single-fiber or multi fiber loose tube buffer) than the cable is termed as _____________
a) Optical unit cable
b) Coaxial cable
c) Layer cable
d) Bare glass cable
8. The primary function of the structural member is load bearing.
9. What is the Young’s modulus of Kevlar, an aromatic polyester?
a) 9 ×1010Nm-2
b) 10 ×1010Nm-2
c) 12 ×1010Nm-2
d) 13 ×1010Nm-2
10. The cable is normally covered with an outer plastic sheath to reduce _______________