This set of Optical Communications Interview Questions and Answers for freshers focuses on “Overall Fiber Dispersion & Modified Single Mode Fibers”.
1. A multimode step index fiber has source of RMS spectral width of 60nm and dispersion parameter for fiber is 150psnm-1km-1. Estimate rms pulse broadening due to material dispersion.
a) 12.5ns km-1
b) 9.6ns km-1
c) 9.0ns km-1
d) 10.2ns km-1
2. A multimode fiber has RMS pulse broadening per km of 12ns/km and 28ns/km due to material dispersion and intermodal dispersion resp. Find the total RMS pulse broadening.
3. Γg = dβ / C*dk. What is β in the given equation?
a) Attenuation constant
b) Propagation constant
c) Boltzmann’s constant
4. Most of the power in an optical fiber is transmitted in fiber cladding.
5. A single mode fiber has a zero dispersion wavelength of 1.21μm and a dispersion slope of 0.08 psnm-2km-1. What is the total first order dispersion at wavelength 1.26μm.
a) -2.8psnm-1 km-1
b) -3.76psnm-1 km-1
c) -1.2psnm-1 km-1
d) 2.4psnm-1 km-1
6. The dispersion due to material, waveguide and profile are -2.8nm-1km-1, 20.1nm-1km-1 and 23.2nm-1km-1respectively. Find the total first order dispersion?
a) 36.2psnm-1 km-1
b) 38.12psnm-1 km-1
c) 40.5psnm-1 km-1
d) 20.9psnm-1 km-1
7. Dispersion-shifted single mode fibers are created by __________
a) Increasing fiber core diameter and decreasing fractional index difference
b) Decreasing fiber core diameter and decreasing fractional index difference
c) Decreasing fiber core diameter and increasing fractional index difference
d) Increasing fiber core diameter and increasing fractional index difference
8. An alternative modification of the dispersion characteristics of single mode fibers involves achievement of low dispersion gap over the low-loss wavelength region between __________
a) 0.2 and 0.9μm
b) 0.1 and 0.2μm
c) 1.3 and 1.6μm
d) 2 and 3μm
9. The fibers which relax the spectral requirements for optical sources and allow flexible wavelength division multiplying are known as __________
a) Dispersion-flattened single mode fiber
b) Dispersion-enhanced single mode fiber
c) Dispersion-compressed single mode fiber
d) Dispersion-standardized single mode fiber
10. For suitable power confinement of fundamental mode, the normalized frequency v should be maintained in the range 1.5 to 2.4μm and the fractional index difference must be linearly increased as a square function while the core diameter is linearly reduced to keep v constant. This confinement is achieved by?
a) Increasing level of silica doping in fiber core
b) Increasing level of germanium doping in fiber core
c) Decreasing level of silica germanium in fiber core
d) Decreasing level of silica doping in fiber core
11. Any amount of stress occurring at the core-cladding interface would be reduced by grading the material composition.
12. The variant of non-zero-dispersion-shifted fiber is called as __________
a) Dispersion flattened fiber
b) Zero-dispersion fiber
c) Positive-dispersion fiber
d) Negative-dispersion fiber
13. Non-zero-dispersion-shifted fiber was introduced in the year 2000.