This set of Optical Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Intermodal Dispersion”.
1. Intermodal dispersion occurring in a large amount in multimode step index fiber results in ____________
a) Propagation of the fiber
b) Propagating through the fiber
c) Pulse broadening at output
d) Attenuation of waves
2. After Total Internal Reflection the Meridional ray __________
a) Makes an angle equal to acceptance angle with the axial ray
b) Makes an angle equal to critical angle with the axial ray
c) Travels parallel equal to critical angle with the axial ray
d) Makes an angle equal to critical angle with the axial ray
3. Consider a single mode fiber having core refractive index n1= 1.5. The fiber length is 12m. Find the time taken by the axial ray to travel along the fiber.
4. A 4 km optical link consists of multimode step index fiber with core refractive index of 1.3 and a relative refractive index difference of 1%. Find the delay difference between the slowest and fastest modes at the fiber output.
a) 0.173 μsec
b) 0.152 μsec
c) 0.96 μsec
d) 0.121 μsec
5. A multimode step-index fiber has a core refractive index of 1.5 and relative refractive index difference of 1%. The length of the optical link is 6 km. Estimate the RMS pulse broadening due to intermodal dispersion on the link.
a) 92.6 ns
b) 86.7 ns
c) 69.3 ns
d) 68.32 ns
6. The differential attenuation of modes reduces intermodal pulse broadening on a multimode optical link.
7. The index profile of a core of multimode graded index fiber is given by?
a) N (r) = n1 [1 – 2Δ(r2/a)2]1/2; r<a
b) N (r) = n1 [3 – 2Δ(r2/a)2]1/2; r<a
c) N (r) = n1 [5 – 2Δ(r2/a)2]1/2; r>a
d) N (r) = n1 [1 – 2Δ(r2/a)2]1/2; r<a
8. Intermodal dispersion in multimode fibers is minimized with the use of step-index fibers.
9. Estimate RMS pulse broadening per km due to intermodal dispersion for multimode step index fiber where length of fiber is 4 km and pulse broadening per km is 80.6 ns.
10. Practical pulse broadening value for graded index fiber lies in the range of __________
a) 0.9 to 1.2 ns/km
b) 0.2 to 1 ns/km
c) 0.23 to 5 ns/km
d) 0.45 to 8 ns/km
11. The modal noise occurs when uncorrected source frequency is?
12. Disturbance along the fiber such as vibrations, discontinuities, connectors, splices, source/detectors coupling result in __________
a) Modal noise
b) Inter-symbol interference
c) Infrared interference
d) Pulse broadening
13. The modal noise can be reduced by __________
a) Decreasing width of signal longitudinal mode
b) Increasing coherence time
c) Decreasing number of longitudinal modes
d) Using fiber with large numerical aperture
14. Digital transmission is more likely to be affected by modal noise.