This set of Optical Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “LED Power and Efficiency”.
1. The absence of _______________ in LEDs limits the internal quantum efficiency.
a) Proper semiconductor
b) Adequate power supply
c) Optical amplification through stimulated emission
d) Optical amplification through spontaneous emission
2. The excess density of electrons Δnand holes Δpin an LED is ____________
b) Δpmore than Δn
c) Δn more than Δp
d) Does not affects the LED
3. The hole concentration in extrinsic materials is _________ electron concentration.
a) much greater than
b) lesser than
c) equal to
d) negligible difference with
4. The carrier recombination lifetime becomes majority or injected carrier lifetime.
5. In a junction diode, an equilibrium condition occurs when ____________
a) Δngreater than Δp
b) Δnsmaller than Δp
c) Constant current flow
d) Optical amplification through stimulated emission
6. Determine the total carrier recombination lifetime of a double heterojunction LED where the radioactive and nonradioactive recombination lifetime of minority carriers in active region are 70 ns and 100 ns respectively.
a) 41.17 ns
b) 35 ns
c) 40 ns
d) 37.5 ns
7. Determine the internal quantum efficiency generated within a device when it has a radiative recombination lifetime of 80 ns and total carrier recombination lifetime of 40 ns.
a) 20 %
b) 80 %
c) 30 %
d) 40 %
8. Compute power internally generated within a double-heterojunction LED if it has internal quantum efficiency of 64.5 % and drive current of 40 mA with a peak emission wavelength of 0.82 μm.
9. The Lambertian intensity distribution __________ the external power efficiency by some percent.
b) Does not affects
d) Have a negligible effect
10. A planar LED fabricated from GaAs has a refractive index of 2.5. Compute the optical power emitted when transmission factor is 0.68.
a) 3.4 %
b) 1.23 %
c) 2.72 %
d) 3.62 %
11. A planar LED is fabricated from GaAs is having a optical power emitted is 0.018% of optical power generated internally which is 0.018% of optical power generated internally which is 0.6 P. Determine external power efficiency.
12. For a GaAs LED, the coupling efficiency is 0.05. Compute the optical loss in decibels.
a) 12.3 dB
b) 14 dB
c) 13.01 dB
d) 14.6 dB
13. In a GaAs LED, compute the loss relative to internally generated optical power in the fiber when there is small air gap between LED and fiber core. (Fiber coupled = 5.5 * 10-4Pint)
a) 34 dB
b) 32.59 dB
c) 42 dB
d) 33.1 dB
14. Determine coupling efficiency into the fiber when GaAs LED is in close proximity to fiber core having numerical aperture of 0.3.
15. If a particular optical power is coupled from an incoherent LED into a low-NA fiber, the device must exhibit very high radiance.