This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Material Absorption & Fiber Bend Losses in Silicon Glass Fibers”.
1. How many mechanisms are there which causes absorption?
2. How the potential macro bending losses can be reduced in case of multimode fiber?
a) By designing fibers with large relative refractive index differences
b) By maintaining direction of propagation
c) By reducing the bend
d) By operating at larger wavelengths
3. Absorption losses due to atomic defects mainly include ___________
b) Missing molecules, oxygen defects in glass
c) Impurities in fiber material
d) Interaction with other components of core
4. Which of the following statements best explain the concept of material absorption?
a) A loss mechanism related to the material composition and fabrication of fiber
b) A transmission loss for optical fibers
c) Results in attenuation of transmitted light
d) Causes of transfer of optical power
5. The effects of intrinsic absorption can be minimized by ___________
c) Suitable choice of core and cladding components
6. Optical fibers suffer radiation losses at bends or curves on their paths.
7. A multimode fiber has refractive indices n1 = 1.15, n2 = 1.11 and an operating wavelength of 0.7μm. Find the radius of curvature?
8. Which of the following is not a metallic impurity found in glass in extrinsic absorption?
9. In the given equation, state what αr suggests?
a) Radius of curvature
b) Refractive index difference
c) Radiation attenuation coefficients
d) Constant of proportionality
10. A single mode fiber has refractive indices n1=1.50, n2 = 2.23, core diameter of 8μm, wavelength = 1.5μm cutoff wavelength = 1.214μm. Find the radius of curvature?
a) 12 mm
b) 20 mm
c) 34 mm
d) 36 mm
11. Sharp bends or micro bends causes significant losses in fiber.