This set of Optical Communications Questions and Answers for Freshers focuses on “Material Absorption & Fiber Bend Losses In Silicon Glass Fibers”.
1. Which of the following statements best explain the concept of material absorption?
a) A loss mechanism related to the material composition and fabrication of fiber
b) A transmission loss for optical fibers
c) Results in attenuation of transmitted light
d) Causes of transfer of optical power
2. How many mechanisms are there which causes absorption?
3. Absorption losses due to atomic defects mainly include ___________
b) Missing molecules, oxygen defects in glass
c) Impurities in fiber material
d) Interaction with other components of core
4. The effects of intrinsic absorption can be minimized by ___________
c) Suitable choice of core and cladding components
5. Which of the following is not a metallic impurity found in glass in extrinsic absorption?
6. Optical fibers suffer radiation losses at bends or curves on their paths.
7. In the given equation, state what αr suggests?
a) Radius of curvature
b) Refractive index difference
c) Radiation attenuation coefficients
d) Constant of proportionality
8. A multimode fiber has refractive indices n1 = 1.15, n2 = 1.11 and an operating wavelength of 0.7μm. Find the radius of curvature?
9. A single mode fiber has refractive indices n1=1.50, n2 = 2.23, core diameter of 8μm, wavelength = 1.5μm cutoff wavelength = 1.214μm. Find the radius of curvature?
a) 12 mm
b) 20 mm
c) 34 mm
d) 36 mm
10. How the potential macro bending losses can be reduced in case of multimode fiber?
a) By designing fibers with large relative refractive index differences
b) By maintaining direction of propagation
c) By reducing the bend
d) By operating at larger wavelengths
11. Sharp bends or micro bends causes significant losses in fiber.