This set of Optical Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Multicarrier Systems”.
1. A major attribute of coherent optical transmission was its ability to provide _______________ for future multicarrier systems and networks.
c) Frequency selectivity
d) Noisy carriers
2. The channel width is narrow for the coherent systems than the WDM systems.
3. The technique within the coherent multicarrier systems used to broadcast the optical signals over the network is the use of passive _____________
a) Star coupler
b) Optical resonator
c) Optical regenerator
d) Local oscillator
4. Estimate the minimum transmitter power if number of photons per bit are 150, wavelength 1.3 micrometer with an optical bandwidth of 20 THz.
a) 0.2 mW
c) 1 mW
5. The performance degradation due to nonlinear phase noise is referred to as _____________
a) Munich effect
b) Linear bipolar effect
c) Gordon Mollenauer effect
d) Delta effect
6. ______________ facilitates the doubling of the feasible spectral efficiency through the transmission of independent information in each of the two orthogonal polarizations.
b) Gordon Mollenauer effect
c) EDFA control
7. ____________ is a transparent multiplexing technique.
8. Which of the following is not a drawback of POLMUX?
a) Polarization-sensitive detection at the receiver
b) Receiver complexity
c) Cross-polarization nonlinearities
d) Multilevel modulation
9. A multicarrier modulation format in which there has been growing interest to compensate for impairments in optical fiber transmission systems is _______________
10. It is suggested that the technique with high white noise is an attractive option for use in long haul systems.