This set of Optical Communications Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Non-Linear Effects”.
1. The nonlinear effects in optical fibers are large.
2. How many categories of nonlinear effects are seen in optical fibers?
3. Which of the following is not related to Kerr effects?
a) Self-phase modulation
b) Cross-phase modulation
c) Four-wave mixing
d) Stimulated Raman Scattering
4. Linear scattering effects are _______ in nature.
5. Which thing is more dominant in making a fiber function as a bidirectional optical amplifier?
a) Core material
b) Pump source
c) Cladding material
d) Diameter of fiber
6. _________ semiconductor laser sources generally have broader bandwidths.
d) Silicon hybrid
7. Nonlinear effects which are defined by the intensity – dependent refractive index of the fiber are called as ________
a) Scattering effects
b) Kerr effects
c) Raman effects
d) Tomlinson effects
8. Self-phase modulation causes modifications to the pulse spectrum.
9. Self-phase modulation can be used for _____________
a) Enhancing the core diameter
b) Wavelength shifting
c) Decreasing the attenuation
d) Reducing the losses in the fiber
10. The beating between light at different frequencies or wavelengths in multichannel fiber transmission causes ________
b) Amplitude modulation of channels
c) Phase modulation of channels
d) Loss in transmission
11. What is different in case of cross-phase modulation from self-phase modulation?
a) Overlapping but same pulses
b) Overlapping but distinguishable pulses
c) Non-overlapping and same pulses
d) Non-overlapping but distinguishable pulses
12. When three wave components co-propagate at angular frequency w1, w2, w3, then a new wave is generated at frequency w4, which is given by?
a) w4 = w1 – w2 – w3
b) w4 = w1 + w2 + w3
c) w4 = w1 + w2 – w3
d) w4 = w1 – w2 + w3
13. _____________ results from a case of nonlinear dispersion compensation in which the nonlinear dispersion compensation in which the nonlinear chirp caused by self-phase modulation balances, postpones, the temporal broadening induced by group velocity delay.
a) Four wave mixing
b) Phase modulation
c) Soliton propagation
d) Raman scattering