This set of VHDL Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Overloading”.
1. What is the meaning of overloading?
a) To use single function many times
b) To use same object for different subprograms
c) To use same name for different objects
d) To use single function many time with single call
2. Overloading a subprogram allows subprogram to ________
a) Operate on objects of different types
b) Operate on objects of same name
c) Operate on objects of different name
d) Operate on objects of same types
3. Using overloaded subprograms and operators increase readability of code.
4. What is the necessary condition to overload parameters type of a subprogram?
a) The base type of two parameters must be same
b) The parameters must have a different name
c) The parameters can’t be of integer type
d) The base type of two parameters must differ
5. By overloading + operator, it is possible to _________
a) Use binary addition
b) Use arithmetic addition
c) Use it as subtract operator
d) Use it as ternary operator
6. Which of the following is true about the overloading of ‘+’ and ‘-‘ operators?
a) They can be defined as binary operators only
b) They can be defined as unary operators only
c) They can be defined as ternary operators only
d) They can be defined as either binary or unary operators
7. Apart from subprogram and operator overloading, which of the following can be overloaded in VHDL?
c) IF statement
d) CASE statement
8. Which of the following function definition will return an error?
SUBTYPE log4 IS BIT_VECTOR (0 TO 3) SUBTYPE log8 IS BIT_VECTOR (0 TO 7) FUNCTION abc (a : log4) RETURN INTEGER; FUNCTION abc (a : log8) RETURN INTEGER;
a) Only first call
b) Only second call
c) Both first and second call
d) No error
9. A user wants to perform a different operation on an array type and the function can be overloaded but the parameter is of same base type. How to do the same by using a single function?
a) By using conditional statement with ‘LENGTH attribute
b) By using loop statement with ‘LENGTH attribute
c) By using unconstrained array in parameters
d) It can’t be done by using single function
10. In the two functions defined below, which would generate an error?
FUNCTION abc ( a, b: std_logic) RETURNS BOOLEAN; FUNCTION abc( a, b, c: std_logic) RETURNS BOOLEAN;
a) Only function 1
b) Only function 2
c) Both functions 1 and 2
d) No error
11. It is possible to define a new operator ++ in VHDL.
12. What is the correct syntax to define a function which overloads any operator, say + operator for bit_vector type?
a) FUNCTION + (L : bit_vector, R : bit_vector) RETURN bit_vector IS
b) FUNCTION ‘+’ (L : bit_vector, R : bit_vector) RETURN bit_vector IS
c) FUNCTION “+” (L : bit_vector, R : bit_vector) RETURN bit_vector IS
d) FUNCTION (+) (L : bit_vector, R : bit_vector) RETURN bit_vector IS