This set of Electrical Measurements & Measuring Instruments Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Shunts and Multipliers”.
1. Range of an electrical instrument depends on __________
2. Moving coil instruments have a current and voltage rating of __________
a) 100 A and 25 V
b) 50 mA and 50 mV
c) 75 nA and 100 μV
d) 25 μA and 75 V
3. A shunt is a __________
a) very high resistance
b) medium resistance
c) very low resistance
d) high resistance
4. A shunt can be used to measure large currents.
View AnswerAnswer: a
Explanation: A shunt is normally a very low value of resistance, connected in parallel with the ammeter coil. By making use of a low range ammeter, large current values can be measured through a shunt.
5. Current terminals have a small current capacity.
6. Potential terminals have a __________
a) high current capacity
b) low voltage capacity
c) low current capacity
d) high voltage capacity
7. In case of AC ammeters, shunts consist of __________
8. What is the effect of the ammeter range on the shunt resistance?
a) no effect
b) varies by a factor of multiplying factor
c) varies by a factor of the resistance
d) varies by a factor of unity
9. A multiplier is __________
10. What is the condition for using a multiplier in A.C. voltmeters?
a) by using ac supply
b) by maintaining a uniform impedance
c) by maintaining a uniform frequency
d) by using a galvanometer