This set of Optical Communication Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Single – Mode Fibers”.
1. An optical fiber has a core radius 2μm and a numerical aperture of 0.1. Will this fiber operate at single mode at 600 nm?
2. Plastic fibers are less widely used than glass fibers.
3. What is needed to predict the performance characteristics of single mode fibers?
a) The intermodal delay effect
b) Geometric distribution of light in a propagating mode
c) Fractional power flow in the cladding of fiber
d) Normalized frequency
4. An optical fiber has core-index of 1.480 and a cladding index of 1.478. What should be the core size for single mode operation at 1310nm?
5. Which equation is used to calculate MFD?
a) Maxwell’s equations
b) Peterman equations
c) Allen Cahn equations
d) Boltzmann’s equations
6. The difference between the modes’ refractive indices is called as ___________
c) Fiber birefringence
d) Fiber splicing
7. How many propagation modes are present in single mode fibers?
8. A single mode fiber has mode field diameter 10.2μm and V=2.20. What is the core diameter of this fiber?
9. A single mode fiber has a beat length of 4cm at 1200nm. What is birefringence?
10. Numerical aperture is constant in case of step index fiber.