This set of Optical Communications Interview Questions and Answers for Experienced people focuses on “Stability of the Fiber Transmission Characteristics”.
1. ____________ results from small lateral forces exerted on the fiber during the cabling process.
d) Stimulated Emission
2. Microscopic meandering of the fiber core axis that is micro-bending is caused due to ___________
a) Environmental effects
b) Rough edges of the fiber
c) Large diameter of core
3. How many forms of modal power distribution are considered?
4. What does micro-bending losses depend on _____________
a) Core material
b) Refractive index
d) Mode and wavelength
5. The fiber should be________________ to avoid deterioration of the optical transmission characteristics resulting from mode-coupling-induced micro-bending.
a) Free from irregular external pressure
b) Coupled with plastic
c) Large in diameter
d) Smooth and in a steady state
6. The diffusion of hydrogen into optical fiber affects the ______________
a) Transmission of optical light in the fiber
b) Spectral attenuation characteristics of the fiber
c) Core of the fiber
d) Cladding of the fiber
7. __________ can induce a considerable amount of attenuation in optical fibers.
c) Diffusion of hydrogen
d) Radiation Exposure
8. The radiation-induced attenuation can be reduced through photo-bleaching.
9. The losses due to hydrogen absorption and reaction with fiber deposits can be temporary.
10. The losses caused due to hydrogen absorption mechanisms are in the range of ___________
a) 20 dB/km to 25 dB/km
b) 10 dB/km to 15 dB/km
c) 25 dB/km to 50 dB/km
d) 0 dB/km to 5 dB/km