This set of Optical Communications online quiz focuses on “Wavelength Conversion and Optical Regeneration”.
1. ___________________ is defined as a process by which the wavelength of the transmitted signal is changed without altering the data carried by the signal.
a) Wavelength conversion
c) Sigma management
d) Wavelength dispersion
2. The device which is used to perform wavelength conversion is called as ___________
b) Wavelength Gyrator
c) Wavelength Circulator
d) Wavelength translator
3. A wavelength converter is termed as _______ if the converted wavelength is longer than the original signal wavelength.
a) Down converter
b) Up converter
4. The ___________ converters cannot process different modulation formats.
b) Optoelectronic wavelength
d) Magnetic simulating
5. The optical medium, in case of optical wavelength conversion is ___________
6. The process of imposing the nonlinear response of the medium onto the control signal is known as ______________ scheme.
d) Repeater mixing
7. How many approaches are adopted by the cross-modulation scheme?
8. __________ wavelength converters make use of a passive optical medium to exploit non-linear effects.
9. A _____________ wavelength converter utilizes the nonlinear properties of a semiconductor optical amplifier to perform the conversion process.
a) Cross-gain modulation
b) Cross-phase modulation
c) Cross-absorption modulation
d) Differential polarization modulation
10. The intensity modulated data on one signal wavelength is called as _______
a) Dispersed data
b) Pump signal
c) Probe signal
d) Frequency signal
11. The probe signal is inverse to that of the pump signal.
12. In the XGM converter, the transfer function maintains the rectangular shape.
13. The speed of operation of XGM wavelength conversion is determined by the _______________ of the SOA.
a) Depletion level
b) Hole concentration
c) Carrier dynamics
d) Electron concentration
14. ____________ is defined as the deviation in the emission frequency with respect to time when a laser is driven by a time-varying current source.
a) Intensity probe
d) Frequency chirp
15. When frequency chirp shifts the optical frequency towards the shorter wavelength, it is known as ________
a) Red shift
b) Green shift
c) Yellow shift
d) Blue shift